The Penn Club | Member Club Branding System
A home away from home
At their annual banquet at the Waldorf-Astoria in January of 1900, a handful of local University of Pennsylvania alumni developed a plan to secure “a convenient suite of rooms in the middle of the city, adjacent to a cafe.” In October of that year the University of Pennsylvania’s Club of New York opened in four ground floor rooms in the Royalton Hotel, just 200 feet west of today’s Penn Club.
Today the member-owned club is housed in a 13-story historic landmark building on what has become Clubhouse Row in midtown Manhattan, and recently enlisted the Bernhardt Fudyma Design Group to create a new branding system that would present a more dynamic, contemporary, and cohesive persona for the club and its member communications.
In addition to the overall branding system of fonts, imagery, and messaging, we performed a graphic update of the club’s formal crest to refine its visual presentation and enable better reproduction – especially in digital applications.
We also developed a top line messaging construct that used imperative words to convey the many amenities, activities, and benefits available at the club.
The club’s newsletter also had the new core PENN identifier imbedded in its masthead.